Sunday, September 21, 2008

Scott Adams is an idiot

I am already an admirer of Scott not just because he created Dilbert and I usually have one book on my office table of Dilbert cartoons but because he himself calls himself an idiot in his book "The Dilbert Principle".

Most of his introductory statements are amazingly true and most of us would have experienced that in our workplace as well as out of workplace. Let's look at some of his sentences:

"...I was puzzled, but after careful analysis I have developed a sophisticated theory to explain the existence of this bizarre workplace behavior: People are idiots.

…Including me. Everyone is an idiot, not just the people with low SAT scores. The only difference among us is that we're idiots about different things at different times. No matter how smart you are, you spend much of your day being an idiot...."

"...Idiocy in the modern age isn't an all-encompassing, twenty-four-hour situation for most people. It's a condition that everybody slips into many times a day. Life is just too complicated to be smart all the time."

One of the examples that happened with me today was when I went to the local dominick's store and bought the usual vegetables and other stuff. For billing, went to the self billing station and started passing on the objects with the bar code and used either the item code number pasted on the fruits/vegetables or selected the fruits/vegetables from the menu if item code was not available. Then there was a last item for which neither me nor my wife found the name on the menu. She was saying it is chayote or squash and we didn't find the specific ones after going through the item list in 'C' and 'S'. So we called up the helper by the station and there she came, just turned the vegetable and there was an item code available for it beneath which she entered with quite an amusing face and went away with "you are welcome" signature.

Quite true that I slipped into the "idiocy state" during the billing of only the last item when I was able to smartly avoid the helper for all the previous items.

No comments: